1. Is it mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN?
As per notification no. 20/2021 (dated 31st March 2021) issued by CBDT, all the resident individuals are mandatorily required to link PAN with Aadhaar latest by 30th June 2021.
2. What happened if I did not link Aadhaar with PAN?
If PAN is not linked with Aadhaar, then PAN shall become inoperative and it shall be deemed that the person has never furnished, intimated, or quoted the PAN as per the provisions of Income tax Act, 1961 (“IT Act”).
3. What is the impact for customers whose PAN is inoperative?
As per provisions of Section 206AA of the IT Act, in case of inoperative PAN, Bank is required to withhold tax at source (TDS) at penal/higher rate.
4. What is the last date of Linking Aadhaar with PAN?
All the resident individual assesses are mandatorily required to link PAN with Aadhaar latest by 30th June 2021.
5. Where I can check whether my Aadhaar and PAN are linked or not?
To check the status kindly click on the following link and fill required details:
6. How I can link my PAN with Aadhaar?
You can link your PAN with Aadhaar by following these simple steps:
- Go to: https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/LinkAadhaarHome.html?lang=eng
- Enter your PAN, Aadhaar number and name as per your Aadhaar.
- Please make sure that the Aadhaar number and name as per Aadhaar is exactly the same as printed on your Aadhaar card. If your Aadhaar card has only year of birth, then you must also tick the option: 'I have only year of birth in Aadhaar card'.
- Enter the captcha or you can request for an OTP.
- Click on Link Aadhaar.
7. Is there any other mode by which I can link my Aadhaar with PAN?
Yes, you can link Aadhaar with PAN via SMS. Just follow the below mentioned steps:
- SMS to 56161 as under (from any mobile number)
- Format of SMS:- UIDPAN < space > < your 12-digit Aadhaar > < space > < your 10-digit pan >
8. Do NRI, NRO also required to link Aadhaar and PAN?
No, requirement to link Aadhaar and PAN. This is only applicable to Indian Resident (IOR).
9. What if I am unable to link my Aadhaar and PAN due to any reason like address, name, DOB etc.?
Dear Customer, for these ‘issues kindly contact issuing authorities of Aadhaar and PAN
10. What are the consequences of inoperative PAN?
As per the said notification if PAN is not linked with Aadhaar, then PAN shall become inoperative and it shall be deemed that the person has never furnished, intimated, or quoted the PAN as per the provisions of Income tax Act. Accordingly, TDS might be deducted at Penal rate as specified for Non-PAN customers.
Above FAQs are only easy compilation of all the provisions of the law for convenience of the customers and Bank do not claim legal validity of the same. Customers should act upon after taking a proper legal advice on the same.