When you talk about train journeys, luxury isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. However, you could be wrong about these exceptions. With majestic ambiance, lavish gastronomical fare and great hospitality, the luxury trains of India make you feel no less than royalty. Jointly run and managed by Indian Railways and IRCTC, they offer a one-of-a-kind experience and surprises for a lifetime. With sheer opulence and comfort, these elite trains transport you back to the days of Maharajas.
Convinced to make this your next travel plan? Look no further; we are here to help you decide which one should be your next pick.
Introduced in 2005 with an aim to promote tourism in Maharashtra, the Deccan Odyssey is a joint collaboration between the Indian Railway and the State Government of Maharashtra.
Deccan Odyssey offers lavish rides to the passengers. Centrally air-conditioned, this train has well-furnished Deluxe Cabins and Suite Cabins with attached bathrooms, all equipped with state-of-the-art amenities. Other onboard facilities include Dining Car, Saloon, Bar Lounge, Mini Gymnasium, Conference Hall and Ayurveda Spa. The decor recreates the golden days of the Maharajas, who traveled with opulence in ostentatious carriages. This royal ride also mesmerizes travelers with beautiful sightseeing, pampered hospitality and delightful cultural performances.
- Maharashtra Splendor (Mumbai – Nasik – Ellora Cave – Ajanta Caves – Kolhapur – Goa – Ratnagiri – Mumbai)
- Indian Odyssey (Delhi – Sawai Madhopur – Agra – Jaipur – Udaipur – Vadodara – Ellora Caves – Mumbai)
- Hidden Treasures of Gujarat (Mumbai – Vadodara – Palitana – Sasan Gir – Somnath – Little Rann of Kutch – Modhera – Patan – Nashik – Mumbai)
- Indian Sojourn (Mumbai – Vadodara – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Agra – Sawai Madhopur – Jaipur – Delhi)
- Jewels of the Deccan (Mumbai – Bijapur – Aihole – Pattadakal – Hampi – Hyderabad – Ellora Caves – Ajanta Caves – Mumbai)
- Maharashtra Wild Trail (Mumbai – Aurangabad – Ramtek – Tadoba – Ajanta – Nashik – Mumbai)
Maharaja Express, an initiative of Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), is the latest luxury train to be introduced in India. Equivalent to the Orient Express of Europe, this Maharaja train is rated by prestigious travel magazines and luxury guides as one of the greatest rail journeys in the world.
It lets you experience the quintessence of Indian culture. With excellent customer service and complete attention to detail – this train offers premium luxury that even the maharajas would envy. This rail ride includes an exquisite dining car serving a range of world cuisine and Indian delicacies, a safari bar, lounge, huge bedroom cabins equipped with Wi-Fi connectivity, telephone facilities, plasma TVs with satellite channels, DVD players, etc.
- The Heritage of India (Mumbai – Ajanta – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Bikaner – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Agra – Delhi)
- Gems of India (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi)
- The Indian Panorama (Delhi – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Fatehpur – Sikri – Agra – Gwalior – Orchha – Khajuraho – Varanasi – Lucknow – Delhi)
- Indian Splendour (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Bikaner – Jodhpur – Udaipur – Balasinor – Mumbai)
- Treasures of India (Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi)
The Palace on Wheels luxury train takes you on a scintillating experience. Ranked as the 4th best luxury train in the world, the Palace on Wheels carries with it an intrinsic ambiance that goes perfectly well with the majestic charm and beauty that’s spread so lavishly across the Indian terrain.
Luxurious cabins, exquisite wallpapers, well-stocked bar, exquisite cuisines, gracious hospitality, and local culture displayed by the artistic use of paintings and handicrafts – make it very much like a palace on wheels. In all, this luxury train is a perfect chance to relive the era when kings and queens ruled; when royalty spelled magic; when charm and mysticism was in the air.
Routes: Delhi – Jaipur – Sawai Madhopur – Chittorgarh – Udaipur – Jaisalmer – Jodhpur – Bharatpur – Agra – Delhi
The Golden Chariot is an award-winning luxury train offering 3 itineraries across some of the most prominent destinations in South India. Designed to recreate the aesthetics of Dravidian cultural ethos, this Indian luxury train comes equipped with state-of-the-art amenities to offer unique travel experiences in India in unparalleled élan and luxury.
The train has AC chambers with royal interiors, bars, restaurants serving multi-variety cuisines, a mini gym, an Ayurveda spa, and other 5-star facilities. With gracious hospitality and impeccable service, the royal trip leaves you enthralled and spellbound.
- Pride of the South (Bangalore – Kabini – Mysore – Hassan – Hampi – Badami – Goa – Bangalore)
- Southern Splendour (Bangalore – Chennai – Mahabalipuram – Pondicherry – Thanjavur – Madurai – Thiruvananthapuram – Alleppey – Kochi – Bangalore)
The opulence of Royal Orient makes it among the most luxurious trains in the world. The train has palatial-style comfortable cabins, multi-cuisine restaurants, a well-stocked bar, a beautiful lounge fitted with colour TV and CD player, a well-stocked library, and almost all other facilities that can come to your mind while imagining yourself in a 5-star hotel.
With well-mannered staff and royal richness, this train provides an opportunity to feel and taste the Raj’s or King’s culture.
Routes: Chittorgarh/Udaipur -Junagarh/Veraval- Sasan Gir/Dilwara – Palitana- Sarkhej- Ahmedabad- Jaipur- Delhi
The Heritage On Wheels train is every bit as luxurious as its name suggests. Each of its 14 gleaming carriages has been furnished keeping in mind the opulent tastes of royalty. It has two restaurants, Maharaja and Maharani. Decorated with opulent curtains, exquisitely crafted lights, and table settings – these restaurants serve a choice of delectable Indian, Continental, and even Chinese cuisines. Moreover, the relaxing and inviting ambiance of the well-stocked bar cum lounge is where you could burrow in a book, to write a record of all that you saw, or converse with your co-passengers.
With extremely amicable and highly capable staff to look after, this royal trip caters to your every whim and fancy. In all, you get to be the maharaja who travels in style and luxury.
Routes: Jaipur – Bikaner – Tal Chhapar and Shekhawati – Jaipur – Depart
The luxury trains of India draw tourists from all across the globe. An epitome of richness and beauty, these rides offer a peek into the extravagance of our royal yesteryears, set in the rich canvas of India’s cultural and natural heritage.