To safeguard your health, experts are recommending stringent precautionary measures, which are actually quite easy to follow. Following guidelines like self-isolation closely will assuredly keep you protected from the epidemic.
The World Health Organization has declared the COVID -19 a global pandemic. Hence it's important to take basic protective measures against this deadly virus to avoid its spread. The precautionary actions listed here will not only protect you and your community, but also help us rise from this epidemic quickly and safely.
1. Maintain Social Distancing
Social distancing is the foremost public health safety recommendation for reducing the spread of the virus. Since the virus is contagious, make sure you and your family adhere to this protocol strictly.
Simple strategies for effective social distancing:
- Keep 1-meter distance (or 3 feet) from other people as much as you can
- Avoid venturing out as much as possible, particularly to crowded public places
- Get in touch with your loved ones through electronic devices instead of in-person
- Work from home. Cancel or postpone conferences and large meetings.
2. Maintain Basic Hygiene and stay healthy
Reducing the spread of the virus starts with basic hygiene. Here are a few things you can do to keep yourself sanitized.
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds
- Use alcohol-based sanitizer (above 60% alcohol content) when you can’t use soap and water
- Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow while coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching your face, eyes and nose, with unwashed hands
- Wipe down doorknobs, tables, desk, switches, mobile phones, etc, twice a day with detergent
- Wear masks only when needed. E.g. while driving a car or while sharing space with neighbors, etc.
While all these measures seem small, they are effective in protecting you, your loved ones and your community from the epidemic.
3. Eat Immunity Boosting Foods
The more steps you take to keep your immunity healthy, the better it helps fight the infection. So, ensure you load up your meal platter with a range of immune-boosting foods – like fresh green vegetables, fruits, natural herbs, seeds, dry fruits, nuts and beverages like green tea. Eating a healthy and nutritious diet will help your immune system function properly. Moreover, it will provide you with the necessary vitamins and minerals to ward off various illnesses.
Stay away from junk food and sugary drinks. Also, stop alcohol consumption and smoking. You need to keep your lungs and gut strong to fight off the virus.
4. Stock Up Essentials Sensibly
As the virus continues to spread, it seems sensible to stock up on a few essentials for your daily needs. Ensure you pick up food items and other essentials like toiletries, medicines, etc wisely. As far as possible, try to make use of the home delivery services to avoid human contact. Remember to wipe all your food items and other essentials that are being picked and delivered at your doorstep.
However, make sure you don’t buy more than you need. You need to remember that every individual and every family needs to have sufficient stock in their home. Even the supermarkets and general stores are working hard to replenish essentials items as quickly as possible whenever inventory runs out in stores.
5. Quarantine Yourself if You Have an International Travel History
The entire world is suffering from the epidemic. So, if you have an international travel history, ensure you quarantine yourself for 14 days. This is to ensure that you are not an unwitting carrier of the virus.
While self-quarantining, if you start to feel unwell and develop symptoms like fever or shortness of breath, coughing or respiratory illness, immediately get medical help.
6. Keep Government Helpline Numbers/ Doctor's Contact Number Handy
Keep helpline numbers handy for yourself and your loved ones.
Central Helpline Number for corona-virus - 11-23978046
Toll-free helpline number: 1075
Helpline email ID: [email protected]
The Centre has also launched an official chatbot on WhatsApp - called MyGov Corona Helpdesk. Users just need to save the number — 9013151515 — in their contacts list and send a message to get a response.
Stay informed about COVID-19 only through reputable sources such as UNICEF, WHO and national health ministry advisories. Be aware of fake information/myths that may circulate by word-of-mouth or online.
Remember that by taking basic protective measures you will be in a better position to fight the disease. So, stay home, stay health and stay safe!