When you get older, you need more frequent contact, socialization and reassurance. While everyone may not be together with their family physically, one can still stay connected with various tools and devices regularly.
Modern technology has helped elders stay connected with family and friends. It helps them stay up-to-date on the world around them — and the loved ones they care about.
In this article, we take a look at the tools/devices that make the world smaller:
WhatsApp is one of the best applications that you can use to connect with family and friends. Easy to use – this application can be downloaded on both IOS and Android devices (while it comes predownloaded on most devices). It is a great application to call, message or video chat. Moreover, with encryption services built into the platform, you are assured that your communication stays private.
- As per the latest update,
- WhatsApp messaging and video calls can be made to anyone in your address book/contact list.
Facebook is undoubtedly one of the most popular social media and social networking sites. You can use Facebook to connect with your family, friends, work colleagues and to meet new people. You can easily communicate with them through wall updates, private messages and video chats. Also, with Facebook’s translation feature, you can communicate with people who speak a variety of different languages.
- Facebook's new video call feature lets 50 people join in
- You can create a video room straight from the Messenger or Facebook
- There is no time limit to the video calls made from Messenger rooms.
You can now get all your loved ones together on Google Meet. If you are already using Gmail, YouTube, Google Photos, or another Google product, just sign in to your existing Google Account. If you don’t have a Google account – just create one - it’s free!
You can even download the Meet app on your mobile or laptop. Meet uses the same safeguard measures that Google uses to secure your information and your privacy.
- You can create an online meeting with up to 100 participants with a time limit of 60 minutes per meeting
- Meet adjusts to your network speed and offers high-quality video calls wherever you are.
4. Alexa Devices
Alexa is a neat way to contact family and friends. With Alexa, not only can you place a call, but you can also leave a voice message or a text-based message. The best part about ‘Alexa calling and messaging’ feature is that it's free to use and works over Wi-Fi (or mobile data on your phone). You don't need to invest in a talk plan!.
- You can reach anyone from your mobile phone's contacts list who has a compatible Echo device and who has also signed up for Alexa Calling. You can also call most international mobile or landline numbers.
- You can even download the Alexa app on your Android or IO smartphone.
- It gives you hands-free options for calling family, friends, and other contacts.
5.Online Group Games
Besides group video chats, online group games are rapidly evolving into the most engaging form of entertainment today. It not only helps you have a funny enjoyable interaction with your family and friends but also improves your creative skills. Most games are simple to understand – as a result, one doesn’t need to be very tech-savvy to able to enjoy the same.
- Most games allow you to talk in real-time
- Certain online-games offer chat feature to allows players to chat while playing
- A good number of online group gaming apps are free and accessible on both Android and iOS devices.
All the above tools/devices are especially helpful for elders who are staying alone, as it allows them to communicate with others 24/7. These tools not only bridge the communication gap but also reduce stress and anxiety that’s common in old age.